When Erin got Virginia for the third grade state fair, it was the perfect excuse for a long overdue visit back to Charlottesville! We had a few days in June between when school ended and when camp started that made for the perfect little girls’ getaway. We planned a great little itinerary that allowed us to see friends, get in some educational field trips, and visit one of my favorite places in the world. It was a great reminder that you can take an awesome trip in just a few days, and that Marriott points, Jet Blue miles, and staying with friends can make it very economical too.
Our Itinerary and Highlights:
- Fly from Boston to Richmond
- We stopped in Jamestown for a (very) short time - it was literally over 100 degrees outside and visiting the 2,000 degree glass blowing shed was not the perfect activity for the day! But it was cool to see and hit one of the areas that Erin had researched.
- We drove from Richmond to Williamsburg and stayed at XXX.
- The hotel had an amazing water park and pool so we spent most of the afternoon there, before driving into Williamsburg for dinner at the XXX and a trip to the candy store.
- Breakfast at the hotel
- We met up with Kristie and her kiddos to spend the day at Colonial Williamsburg. Even in the heat, the kids were troopers and really got a kick out of the old village.
- After our day in Colonial Williamsburg, we drove to Richmond and stayed the night at Kristie’s house.
- We had a great day of normal home life with Kristie and her kiddos. We played at home, went to the pool, and made dinner. It’s such a nice change of pace, especially when traveling with kids, to spend a day or two in a real home with friends.
- We drove from Richmond to Charlottesville.
- We took a trip to Monticello on our way into town. The girls were surprisingly interested in the guided tour, and loved running around the beautiful grounds.
- We ate our way through all of my old favorites, walked around Grounds, and overall had a great time introducing the girls to the beauty of UVA.
- We stayed at XXX.
- We finished up our time at UVA with breakfast at Bodo’s, a visit to the Rotunda, and a stop at my first year dorm.
- We drove back to Richmond and flew home!
I am already hoping Nettie gets a state we can visit when she has her 3rd grade state fair!